Monday, February 25, 2008

Wherein I sound off on Gun Control

When it comes to the subject of gun control, it seems sometimes that there are only two opinions.

It’s as if half of the American population believes that the best bet for safety is for everyone to have a gun, and possibly a concealed carry permit.

The other half believes that strict laws should be passed against all guns, and that no one should have them.

As with most things, the truth, and probably 80 percent of the population, is somewhere in between those two extremes.

Now personally, I like guns. I also feel that I am a strong environmentalist, as is the case with most hunters.

I enjoy the tactile pleasure of killing and consuming the things I hunt. I feel it helps me understand the order of the world, and keeps me close to the fact that things die for my body to go on living.

Of course, as a hunter and gun enthusiast, I know a few things about gun safety. Rule number one, taught to me by my dad when he bought me my first BB gun, is that you never point a gun at something you don’t intend to kill.

I feel sometimes like they should have tacked that rule on to the second amendment when they wrote it, but our forefathers probably didn’t have any way of knowing that 200 years later men would have guns capable of firing 100,000 rounds per second.

A hunting argument only goes so far. It’s a simple fact that a person doesn’t need an M249 SAW machine gun to hunt ducks, a shotgun will do the job just fine.

Of course, as the old cliche goes, “a well-armed populace Is the best defense against tyranny.” Which means that citizens owning guns is the only way to ensure that a government doesn’t overstep its bounds and trample the rights of its citizens.

The problem is that, occasionally, a member of that populace utilizes their well armed status against the perceived tyranny of the guy who cut them off in traffic.

Tragedies like the recent shootings at Northern Illinois University and Columbine High School can serve to show what happens when guns get into the wrong hands.

However, in both of the cases mentioned above, the shooters were in possession of guns that were acquired through illegal means.

This is where another cliche comes into play, “when guns are illegal, only criminals will have guns.”

This is a bit humorous in one sense in the fact that such legislation would indeed make a criminal of all gun owners, but is also a very serious admonision against violating the rights of responsible gun owners.

Currently laws are in place to keep a few very specific guns, classified as ‘assault weapons,’ from being legally sold to the public even though assault weapons are used in less than one percent of violent crimes.

Other legislation, such as waiting periods and background checks are aimed at reducing the sale of handguns, which are used in 57 percent of murders nationwide.

Despite these efforts, gun crime continues to rise, which makes me think that perhaps new laws aren’t what is needed. A person who breaks today’s relatively lax gun laws is just as likely to break stricter codes put in place in the future.

Now someone out there is saying that phrase which I hate, “think of the children.”

Statistically speaking there are about 1300 accidental gun deaths in the United States each year, including the 200 or so which claim the lives of children 14 or younger.

While this statistic is tragic, it is almost nothing when compared to the other types of accidental deaths such as bicycle accidents, drowning, electrocution and fires.

The fact is that a child is 14.5 time more likely to die in a car accident than from a bullet wound. As a matter of fact, car accidents claim far more people each year than guns. If we’re really worried about people’s lives then perhaps we should implement stricter automobile laws.

Simply put, the answer to gun violence isn’t more laws. Rather it is better enforcement of laws that are already in place coupled with better education for gun owners.

In the end a compromise must be reached between those who want to be armed and those who don’t want to be shot at, because the second amendment and the freedoms it represents are hopefully here to stay.

4 comments:

James said...

Uh-oh, it's my issue!

Once in a while I get asked about whether or not I think machine guns should be easier to acquire in a legal fashion. I've never gone out and said yes or no, but I'm skeptical as to whether or not their legality would really change much. I think the murder rate and all that would stay the same.

As far as concealed carry goes, I am an enthusiastic supporter of it, and that includes on college campuses and in government buildings. At the extreme minimum, no one has ever improved leinent concealed carry laws to increase crime rates, and I firmly believe that they alleviate them.

Plus, I just fucking love guns. They're so cool.

Ryan said...

I agree, guns are cool.

I also think you're right that making machine guns easier to get probably wouldn't increase gun deaths since most murders involving a firearm are commited with a pistol.

Bonnie said...

I disagree. Knives are cool.

Ryan said...

Well, we all know that I prefer swords to guns anyway.