Friday, March 28, 2008

Movie quote Meme.

I've decided that I'm going to steal my friend James' meme, which he took from Paul Clark. Paul's list was really hard, James' was slightly easier, mine will probably be a cake walk for just about anyone.

Here's da rules.

1. Pick 10 of your favorite movies.
2. Go to IMDb and find a quote from each movie.
3. Post them here for everyone to guess (use the comments, if you please).
4. Strike it out when someone guesses correctly, and post the answer along with who guessed it.
5. No Googling or using IMDb search functions. You're on your honor.
6. One movie guess at a time. Give people a chance to guess before you steal all of the glory

1) What kind of place is this? It's beautiful: Pigeons fly, women fall from the sky! I'm moving here! I think Paul C. is the only one still playing, but he recognized this quote as coming from what is possibly my favorite movie out there "Life is Beautiful." As he pointed out, this one is tough because the movie is in Italian with subtitles, so you don't actually hear what the characters say.

2)You Samoans are all the same. You have no faith in the essential decency of the white man's culture. Alex Power recognized this quote from 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Raoul Duke (Jonny Depp) often calls Dr. Gonzo (Benicio Del Toro) a samoan, however, his country of origin is never revealed for certain.

3)Well that's just great. Either I have a monster in my kitchen or I'm completely crazy. Bonnie got this one just as I expected her to. It's from Dana Barret (Sigourney Weaver) in the first Ghostbusters. Spoken to Venkman (Bill Murray) as he checks out her apartment.

4)Yes, you can help me... Forget you ever knew me, and never come back here again. I never thought that this one would get people. It's from Gladiator, Maximus Desmus Meridius (Russel Crow) to be specific. I picked a quote that was a little bit obscure, but with esoteric titles like 5 and 6 I thought for sure this one would be snapped up before the rest.

5)The day I make someone sane, they're in trouble! Even though he claims to have never seen it, Paul C. got the hint and guessed "What the @#%# do we know?"

6)I'm not saying that you don't know what you're talking about, but I don't know what you're talking about. Paul C. got another one that I expected to be tough by identifying this quote from a pinball player in "Waking Life." He says it's one of his favorites and I agree. Also a good date movie assuming the girl (or guy) you're with isn't an airhead.

7)I've always been considered an asshole for about as long as I can remember. That's just my style. Paul C. knows that this line came from the titular character Royal Tenenbaum (Gene Hackman). He even knew the line that follows it (see the comments). Well done Paul.

8)There is a time for daring and a time for caution, and a wise man knows which is called for. From Dead Poet's society, from the mouth of John Keating (Robin Williams).

9)I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiener". James nailed this quote. It's kind of a gimme for him since he used the same movie in his version of this game. The line is from a very fast speech by Edgar Friendly (Denis Leary) in Demolition Man.

10)We are now up against live, hostile targets. So, if Little Red Riding Hood should show up with a bazooka and a bad attitude, I expect you to chin the bitch. This one was from a relatively minor 2002 release called "Dog Soldiers" featuring a bunch of brits noone had heard from before or since. There were a number of really hilarious lines, but I really liked this one.

There's only one or two of these that I expect will be a bit tough to place. Have at it folks (all two of you), post answers in the comments section.

That's four down with six to go, I expect 1, 10 and perhap 6 to be the tough ones. A new post will be going up this week on the subject of underage drinking once I've found a way to make it a little bit more funny.

I suppose it's about time to offer some hints on the quotes that are left.

#4 is a movie that won five oscars and had some really kicking fight scenes.
#5 is a science type movie with a bleeped out word in the title
#6 is said by a character who is a teacher
#10 is from a movie that involves werewolves which caught some flak for not using CGI in its special effects

9 comments:

Bonnie said...

#3 has got to be ghostbusters. But to be perfectly honest. I can't place single one of the rest of'em.

me said...

I could probably do a bunch of these, but #2 is from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

James said...

#9 is from Demolition Man.

Paul C. said...

"I don't think you're an asshole, Royal. I just think you're kind of a son of a bitch."

7. The Royal Tenenbaums

Paul C. said...

6 is from Waking Life- one of my faves.

Paul C. said...

#1 is Life Is Beautiful.

But yeah, those subtitled one can be pretty tricky, since we can't actually hear the quote in our head like we can with the others.

James said...

I've gotta confess, I'm fucking stumped. I thought these were pretty damn hard. Luckily for your meme, Paul has seen every movie ever made except for Shooter, Ripley's Game, and Zulu.

Paul C. said...

I think I can guess most of these, although I haven't seen the movie I think #5 was taken from: What the Bleep Do We Know?

Paul C. said...

James:

Not true.

Also, I probably could have gotten the Gladiator quote but I was waiting for an acknowledgment on my previous guess before submitting that one. Oh well- no biggie.